Coconut milk is derived from the flesh of the coconut. It is not the liquid that can be drained out from a coconut that has been punctured, although many people assume this. Getting coconut milk from a coconut requires some processing, but the ingredient is also available in cans or bottles. Coconut milk is used as a cooking base in many recipes, particularly in the cuisine of Thailand and other South and Southeast Asian countries, but also in West Africa, Hawaii and the West Indies.
This milk is rich in vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 as well as iron, selenium, calcium, iron, magnesium and phosphorus. Thus, this sweet creamy liquid can be a part of a healthy diet and is a great option for those who are allergic to animal milk.
Coconut Milk For HealthDue to its rich array of vitamins and minerals, benefits of coconut milk for health are many and they are given below.
1. Strong Bones:Although coconut milk does not contain as much calcium as regular milk (38 mg per cup), it is a rich source of phosphorus. It provides around (how much) milligrams of phosphorus per cup which contributes to strong bones.
2. Treatment of Arthritis:Selenium found in coconut milk is an antioxidant, which relieves arthritis symptoms by controlling free radicals and decreasing the risk of joint inflammation.
3. Lowers Cholesterol:Though coconut milk contains saturated fat, it can actually reduce cholesterol levels in comparison to butter and dairy based creams. This is because of its lauric acid boosts HDL (good) cholesterol. When choosing among saturated fats, coconut milk is preferable as it is easier for the body to break down and metabolize healthy fats such as omega 6 essential fatty acids.
4. Great Source of Magnesium:Coconut milk is a rich source of magnesium, providing around 89 milligrams per cup. This mineral helps to calm the nerves and maintain normal blood pressure as well as prevent nerve cells from becoming overactive by virtue being stimulated by calcium. It results in the reduction of muscle contraction, thus making you feel more relaxed.
5. Aids in Weight Loss:Coconut milk is often considered as a fattening agent due to its saturated fats. But it is also rich in fiber, which makes you feel full for a longer time and if taken in moderation, can help to control weight.
6. Stronger Immune System:Coconut milk contains lauric acid, antimicrobial lipids and capric acid which possess antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. This lauric acid on entering the human body gets converted into a compound called monolaurin which is believed to fight the viruses and bacteria that cause herpes, influenza and even HIV.
7.Deep conditioning by coconut milk:
Take 4 tablespoons of coconut milk and mix it with honey and Hair oil (you can use olive oil or castor oil).
Heat this mixture for 2 minutes and then apply it to your hair. This process can be a little messy
Now wear a hair cap and leave your hair for an hour.
Wash your hair with regular shampoo