The deeper I dig into DIYing basic household foods such as Rice milk or Nuts butter  the weirder I sometimes feel about sharing those processes here.but  cream cheese was not a project I was expecting to be so simple. I couldn’t have been more wrong!!!
 So Homemade cream cheese is my latest project. Boasting freshness, creaminess, and a bit of tang, freshly-made cream cheese has completely ruined me for commercial cream cheese. Admittedly, in things such as cheesecake or other baked goods, wherein cream cheese is baked along with other ingredients, the vast difference between commercial cream cheese and homemade cream cheese is not so obvious.And this is when knowing how to make your own cream cheese comes in handy.

My recipe is as easy as this  :

Ingredients:
32 fluid ounces whole milk
48 fluid ounces heavy whipping cream (at least 35% fat content)
2 fluid ounces buttermilk
2-3 droplets of liquid veal rennet
1 tablespoon of salt

In a pot (with a fitted lid for later steps), heat milk and cream to 75°F, stirring regularly.Remove pot from stove and add the buttermilk OR sprinkle the mesophilic starter culture over the surface of the milk and allow to dissolve for two minutes. Stir gently. Add diluted rennet mixture and combine using an up and down motion with your spoon under the surface of the milk just until evenly incorporated. Cover pot with lid, wrap in a few kitchen towels, and place in a warm location (70°F-75°F) to incubate, about 14 hours.When cheese is ready to be drained, it will resemble yogurt. Spoon into a strainer lined with a piece of butter muslin. Clip the corners of the muslin together and allow to drain over a bowl (cupboard handles and safety pins can come in handy here) until desired firmness is reached, 7-10 hours.Mix in a 1/4 teaspoon salt or other flavorings as desired. Transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate.
The cream cheese is ready to use the next day.

if this recipe looks complicated for you or you cannot find the veal rennet ,  try my other recipe that i learned from my friend who is a professional cheese baker !
You can make a reasonable cream cheese using just milk, heavy whipping cream and vinegar.2 cups of  milk
1-½ c heavy whipping cream
¼ cup white vinegar
¼ cup lemon juice
tsp of salt
(proportion of milk to cream can vary somewhat)
( 1/2 cup vinegar can be used instead of vinegar and lemon juice)Gently heat milk and cream to just below boiling (180F is good) , stirring continuously.
Stir in vinegar and lemon juice, remove from heat.
Cover with lid or wrap, let sit a few hours, until cooled
Mix in salt.
Strain through tight cloth in strainer over bowl, at least 15 min.
Hang to dry 4 to 12 hours.
Place bag in strainer in bowl and refrigerate 12-18 hours
Wrap or pack into container
Will keep for about 2 weeks.Just prepare your bagel and enjoy your Homemade Cream Cheese  !!!

Category :   Other
More : #Don't #Philadelphithwe're #making #CreCheese

Sharing is Caring..
Please wait...